The mission of the ARTery is to serve and defend artistic expression at Freezer Burn. Freezer Burn is an arts-based event and we work hard to provide opportunities to celebrate and showcase the wonderful art our community creates. The goal of the ARTery is to be an artist resource hub that facilitates the creation, the placement and the display of art on the Fraya as well as cataloging the art at Freezer Burn and creating a gallery of past creations.
What we do
The ARTery provides a variety of art-related services to Fraya artists and creators via its various volunteer teams and in conjunction with the Placement and Fire Art & Safety Teams
This team is an Art and community forward fun team. While most of the tasks are purely administrative, the team is very collaborative. The ARTery team is divided into the ARTery Lead, the Art Grants lead, the Art Finance team, and Art grants reviewer and the Art Catalog team.
Number of Volunteers
minimum 6, maximum 12
ARTery lead - usually starts in October/November working closely with the Art Grants lead to set up and plan for the upcoming year and works until around July. The hours can be anywhere from 2 to 10+ hours per week. Art Grant lead - usually starts in October/November working closely with the ARTery lead to set up and plan for the upcoming year and works until around July. The hours can be anywhere from 2 to 10+ hours per week. Art Finance Team - We are the most active post event. Our job is to review receipts and to ensure accuracy on expense reports. We work closely with the ARTery and the finance teams and generate cheque requisitions for participants to receive grant funding. Pre-event time commitment is approximately 10 hrs, post-event commitment could be anywhere from 2-10+hrs per week until August. Volunteer Art Grant Reviewers - during the grant review process the total amount of hours could be approx 4-10 hours. Art Photographers - At-event volunteer position arranged through our Media Lead. These hours will vary depending on the photography plan. Art Catalog Volunteer - After-event volunteer position. Potential volunteer hours of 10-20 hours compiling and preparing the ARTery gallery for the website.
- The Leads monitor and manage the ARTery/Art Grants email accounts
- Review AfterBurn report/community feedback/Art Finance team feedback and note suggestions for future adjustments to the process.
- ARTery lead, Art Grants lead and Art Financial team work closely to create a solid plan for the year.
- ARTery lead and Art Grants lead work closely to edit and adjust information on the website in preparation for the upcoming year. This includes creating grant application documents, choosing opening and closing dates for the art grants, creating and/or adjusting contracts as needed as well as other administrative duties.
- ARTery lead and Art Grants lead work together to create a calendar of key dates.
- ARTery and Art Grants leads and the volunteer reviewers work together with the Art Finance team to appropriately distribute projected art grant money into the various Art Grant Streams.
- Communicate with the Communications lead to distribute correct and timely information and to make requests of the community if required.
- ARTery lead and Art Grants lead work with the Placement team/ FAST team to ensure appropriate placement of the various art/fire art and sound stages
- Staying in contact with the Placement team and being available to the artists in case issues arise and to support them in their set up needs (this is usually at the beginning of the event or pre event).
- Art Photographers spend time photographing the various registered art at the event
- ARTery lead and Art Grants lead work to support the Art Financial team (getting in touch with artists, etc) in their final duties.
- Review the team's processes and create a plan for the following year.
- Write an AfterBurn report. (leads)
- Update the ARTery Art Catalog gallery online.