The Perimeter Team is the Team that watches the crowd during the Effigy burn on Saturday night and the Temple Burn on Sunday night.
What we do
Freezer Burn is very fortunate to have a location that allows us to Burn Big art like our Effigy and our Temple. But to do this safely, we need volunteers that are willing to work for the hour of the Burn night to set up a burn perimeter around each burn. The idea is to keep all of our participants safe, and to act as the first line of defense should a participant desire to get closer to the flames. We like to remind our perimeter volunteers that this is not a VIP seating for the event, but rather a work detail where you will have your eyes on the crowd instead of the Burn. The beautiful takeaway is always watching the emotions in the faces of our amazing community.
The Perimeter team typically has 1 Perimeter lead for each Burn night (one for effigy and one for temple), and a team of perimeter volunteers of at least 15 (for each burn). These Perimeter Leads and teams follow the close instruction of the FB-FAST Ignition Lead and the FB-FAST Lead. All volunteers are required to have a Long sleeved Natural Fibre (cotton, leather, etc) shirt or Jacket and pants for the perimeter shift (no synthetic clothing), this is to also ensure the safety of our Perimeter volunteers who are closer to the flames than the audience.
Number of Volunteers
15 or more for each Burn
3 hours per Burn
- Recruiting and communicating with volunteers for perimeter (Leads)
- Working with volunteers to educate on protocol (Leads)
- Communication with FB-FAST Lead (Leads)
- Be at the briefing meeting hosted by the Ignition Lead or FB-FAST Lead (Leads & Volunteers)
- Confirm all volunteers are wearing appropriate attire, for example no synthetic fibres (Leads)
- Position volunteers around perimeter (Leads)
- Follow the instructions of the other FAST leads (Leads & Volunteers)
- Communicate with FB-FAST Lead successes and challenges prior to August 1st (Leads & Volunteers)
- Write an AfterBurn report (Leads)
No synthetic fibres.