Leave No Trace (LNT)
We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave Freezer Burn in a better state than when we found it. What is MOOP? MOOP stands for “ Matter Out Of Place”. It refers to anything not originally found in the environment in which the event took place. MOOP is anything brought to the event such as: litter, glitter, biodegradable matter and even you. EVERYTHING IS MOOP! The LNT team looks after any last and lonely items left after the event. However, LNT is everyone’s responsibility!
What we do
Members of this team will help educate participants about strategies for leaving the Fraya in better condition than before we arrived. During exodus, we take some time to visit camps and people to remind them to complete a MOOP sweep, especially of the common areas. In addition, the LNT team will stay an extra day after exodus (rain or shine) to conduct a line sweep of the ranch. Removing any MOOP found during the line sweep and documenting where the MOOP was found on the Fraya.
LNT is one of our most important principles and is a critical role for anyone looking to spread the ethos of Burning Man. Picking up garbage (and helping others recognize when they are leaving a trace) is all part of the duties of this fine team. Our LNT team interacts with many participants and can work closely on-site with any team.
Number of Volunteers
15 minimum, 25 maximum
Exodus: 2-3 hours Site Restoration Day: 6-8 hours post-event
- Monitor the dedicated email (Leads)
- Join and utilize the Production Communication Platform, example: Slack (Leads)
- Sit back, relax and think about the good times ahead (Leads & Volunteers)
- keep your eyes open for MOOPers and use the opportunities for education (Leads & Volunteers)
- Remain on site for the Tuesday Restoration Day, which is typically a full day (Leads & Volunteers)
- Create a MOOP Map by September 1. This map assesses Freezer Burn; theme camps, art installations, sound camps and other areas based on the following criteria: (Leads)
- GREEN: Low Impact to No Impact Trace. The MOOP line moves at a normal walking pace, picking up very little.
- YELLOW: Moderate Impact Trace. The line must slow down to pick up all the MOOP here.
- RED: High Impact Trace. The line must stop to clean up hotspots or very MOOPY areas.
- Write an AfterBurn report (Leads)