Some people have a strong spiritual connection with the Freezer Burn Temple, whereas others use it as a place to rest, a place to contemplate, or a place of reflection. Whatever the purpose is, our participants may find what they do not know they are looking for. Many people write letters to the departed, to themselves, to no one, or even to everyone or no one. And then in silence, after building it, marveling at it and appreciating its existence and the traditions it has created, we burn it down on Sunday evening.
What we do
The Temple team begins seeking volunteers for build days in the early days leading up to the event, and most often the build will be in one city or another (Calgary or Edmonton). Right from the start, the Temple lead (the one with the vision) will have the opportunity to work with the Freezer Burn Fire Art Safety Team (FB-FAST) to make this a large piece of burnable Art. Early entry days are available for the weekend before the event to set up and assemble the Temple on site, and then come show time on Sunday, the Temple team works closely with FAST to safely burn it down.
Skilled tradespeople are always handy when it comes to building something large. Especially if they come with their own tools. The build team typically works together in the pre-event days, and then on-site, a key number of the volunteers are still required to maintain the piece and ensure it is safe up to burn time. The Temple team works closely with FB-FAST, Finance, Perimeter and the LNT teams.
Number of Volunteers
minimum 5, maximum 20
Variable pre-event. 2 hours on site minimum
- Monitor the dedicated email (Leads)
- Join and utilize the Production Communication Platform, example: Slack (Leads)
- Create a vision for the Temple (Leads)
- Work with the build artist (the Leads) to create a safe structure that can be burnt down (Volunteers)
- Build experience not necessary, but considered a bonus (Volunteers)
- Work with the FB-FAST Ignition team from day 1 (Leads)
- Create all safety and burn plans as required (Leads)
- The build weekend on site happens the weekend before the event (Leads & Volunteers)
- Communicate with the Media lead to ensure photo/ video coverage of Burn ceremony (Leads)
- Maintain the structure as needed (Leads & Volunteers)
- Prepare the Temple for burn night through coordination with FAST (Leads)
- Work perimeter shift as members of the Perimeter team for burn night (Volunteers)
- Cleanup on Monday, coordinated with LNT (Leads & Volunteers)
- Coordinate with Media lead to ensure photo/ video material is shared to Freezer Burn social media (Leads)
- Write an AfterBurn report (Leads)